If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that I have learned the hard way that there are some relationships that are just…wrong. Thankfully though, I’ve also discovered that there are also relationships that are just…right.
Looking back, I know there were signs in my first relationship. Signs that I clearly ignored. I don’t know if I can prevent anyone else from learning things the same way I did, but I thought I’d make a list of how I know I’m with my perfect mate.
- When I see hubs’ number on the caller ID, I still get butterflies. Four years in. I totally get the same feeling you get when you see the food coming in a restaurant. He makes my soul smile.
- We laugh at the same things. Sometimes things that no one but us finds funny.
- When I’m with him, I always feel like I’m safe. Even when I might not be.
- Don’t tell him…but we’re almost an even match at Scrabble. I may even have to occasionally resort to distracting techniques so he doesn’t figure it out…
- Before I met him, I thought that home was a place. Now I know it’s not. It’s a person. It’s him.
- I’m not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But I never, ever, feel like I’m “less than” when I’m with him. I can leave the house without makeup, in yoga pants, with orange juice on my lip. (No, that wasn’t a specific day I was talking about…really). To him, I am always beautiful. Always. And without him, I feel incomplete.
- I am damaged. There are parts of me that still have wounds. To him, they are not imperfections. They are cracks that he needs to feel with love. He is (pun intended) the balm.
I have learned that the best type of relationship is the one that makes you into a better person – without changing you into someone other than yourself. With my husband – I’m always the best part of myself.
How do you know that your spouse or partner is “the one”?
|Image Credit: (Edited) artur84 / freedigitalphotos.net|
Latest posts by Live by Surprise (see all)
- When Odd Coincidences Pile Up - March 20, 2017
- Back to School, An Early Education: A Short Fiction - March 13, 2017
- I Believe in Magic, Because I Believe in Love - March 6, 2017